Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNoWriMo, pt 2

I forced myself to pick up the pen and paper yesterday. It wasn't easy. I was scared. Heh, scared of a pen and a notebook. They used to be my favorite things. I guess a lot of it was the what ifs. What if I can't do it anymore? What if I don't get the inspiration again? What if I hit a dead end early in? What if I do start writing by hand, I'm gonna have to write it all over again in MSWord. What if, what if, what if. But I always used to write by hand. It feels so much better to curl up in a chair or couch with a notebook and get a cramp from doing so much writing. I told myself, just one sentence. Get it down. Get those first few words. That's all you have to do. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be the start. Do it. Write.

So I wrote one word. Then another. Finished the sentence. The paragraph. The page. It was late, I only wrote 500 words, one sheet of paper front and back. It wasn't the 1667 required per day, no, but it was the start. I had to go digging into my old notebook to find the names of some of the characters, but the words were flowing. I can't wait to go back home and write some more. I've got to play catch-up, but it's worth it. I spent months tugging on the metaphorical rusted knob, and last night I finally got the inspiration flowing again. It's like learning to walk all over again.

Finished up Halloween weekend with our monthly date (dinner out on Sunday) and watched a movie Saturday. Bubba Ho-tep has been added as my B movie (how fitting...) Bruce Campbell = the god of the iron chin.

No comments:

Post a Comment