Friday, October 29, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I didn't really do anything this month. It shows in the number of posts versus previous months. I think I burned myself out doing as many as I did in September. Time to get back in the saddle. Starting Monday, November 1st, I'm officially signed up to participate in NaNoWriMo. I've wanted to do NNWM for years, but never did. Why, I don't know. I forgot, I was lazy, or too busy.

From when I was a little girl, I wanted to be a writer when I grew up. I got inspired when, in elementary school, we had to write something for a standardized test. It was second or third grade, so the prompts weren't hard. You were either given a fiction or non-fiction paper to write. I got the fiction story, and from that point until college, I didn't stop writing. My last year of high school, I spent every free moment in classes rewriting a story I had started but wasn't happy with. I was expecting that I'd do the same in college. And, well, I was wrong. There was no free time in college classes, and I started dating Hubby. All my extra time went towards him. I decided on a science-based major versus a liberal arts major, knowing I'd have a better chance at a career with that, and my creativity started to fade away. I told myself I'd start to write again after college.

Well, of course, after college came a job. I was too tired to write after the 9 to 6, I had a wedding to plan at that point, and I just didn't have the inspiration anymore. I lost that job (it sucked anyway, I was pretty close to quitting), and got another. I hated that job too, and for a little while, Hubby convinced me to try writing again. I went back to my old story and started over. Suffice to say, take 3 was horrible. I didn't make it past one page before I quit. I just couldn't write like I used to.

Now, at this point in my life, I'm happily married, I have a 9 to 5 that I love, and not long ago, for the first time in years, I got inspired for a new story. I just need to kick-start my writing again. So I'm doing this. I'm going to try and write one of my stories. I won't care how bad it is. I'm just going to write. And at the end of November, even if I don't have a complete story, I'm hoping that I'll at least have gotten the engine running again, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment