Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Keep On Rockin'

The holidays are almost done!! It's always too soon. Right now, I'm sitting in my office, the only one here until 11-ish. It's always dead this week, but between my wedding, honeymoon, and the other trips, I'm out of vacation days. Oh well. There's still snow outside, and I get a chance to update. This is gonna be a long one, so feel free to skip it if you don't like to read a lot about someone else's life.

Christmas was wonderful in Charleston. It wasn't white, but it didn't need to be. We got there Christmas Eve just in time for my in-laws, minus Dad-in-law, to go to church. The three of us stayed home, talked and worked on an Escher puzzle. Over the whole weekend, we didn't even finish the outer edges. We had Indian food for dinner once the service was over. I've only had it once or twice before. The service was crap, but the food was really good!

The next morning, I got up early and wrapped up Hubby's gift, which my in-laws had left completely unwrapped, intending on having him to a treasure hunt for it. Apparently they used to do that for the big gifts when they were kids, but the way it was hidden, it looked like a box in a closet versus a gift. We agreed I'd wrap it and it would go under the tree instead. Honestly, I was more excited this year for what I was giving people than receiving. Hubby got a new laptop, while Mom-in-law got a frame of six pictures with friends and family spelling out her name. The A-Team movie for Dad-in-law, antique books for Sis-in-law, box of homemade candy for SIL's mom (visiting from Hungary), Marvel Zombies 1 for Bro-in-law, plush toy for the Puckster (BIL and SIL's corgi), and Winnie the Pooh books for my niece, due to enter the world next month. Everyone seemed really happy with their gifts!! I really love giving gifts. I love the thrill of finding just the right thing for them - looking and listening over the entire year for the hints of what they want or need, shopping for The Perfect Gift, and even better, making it!

As for me, I was treated to a GPS (for Hubby and I), a few kitchen supplies (adjustable measuring cup, grater, cookbook holder, and baking mat), several books (I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett, a B&B cookbook, and Your Next-Door Neighbor is A Dragon by Zach Parsons), several games (Dragon Age, Fable 3, and Jade Empire), and several things for the house/apartment. I've been saying we needed a GPS for ages, so finally having one is awesome. It got us around some horrible traffic on our way home and took us down pretty backroads covered in snow.

For my list, I finished #33 with my last book I read, marking my 20th completed task!

#31 - We watched Toy Story 3 and Scott Pilgrim versus the World I enjoyed them both and cried like a baby at TS3. I don't usually cry at movies - the most is a tear or two at sappy moments. I needed a tissue after this one. Scott Pilgrim was good, loved all the video game references (of course), but I prefered the alternate ending over the one that happened.

#32 - I read You Suck! by Christopher Moore and Your Next-Door Neighbor is A Dragon by Zach Parsons over Christmas. You Suck! is a vampire story of a different kind from the popular ones these days - it's actually good. I get the feeling it's a sequel, but it's easy enough to read as a stand-alone. YNDNiaD is a pretty interesting read about the unusual or unaccepted sides of the internet - from people who diagnose themselves with illnesses because the internet says they have the symptoms to people who believe themselves to be dragons or other mythical races known as Otherkin. Some stuff in the book is unbelievable to downright faked, but the interviews for the most part seem plausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment